Monday, May 18, 2009

iPhone and the Blackberry

As I've posted in the past I've wanted a iPhone but given international travel could not justify one. When I started my current position, which has `something` to do with mobile, decided it was time to try out the iPhone full time and give up the Blackberry.

I've had the blackberry since the early days, well before there was a phone and it looked like an over sized pager (am I dating myself with that reference?). Marina will tell you I'm more than addicted, but it is a great tool for keeping up on email.

So for the last 6 weeks I've been using the iPhone exclusively for work email. It is good and bad.

Good: Unit is solid, screen is great, watching movies and listening to music/podcasts is great.
Bad: With the exception of personal email using the keyboard for email is - well - difficult. Battery life is fine if you charge mid day.

I've ordered a blackberry for corporate email, I've tried. I need email to work quickly, be on the unit at all times for the bus, train, plane (yea, real push is coming...), have quick cut/paste, fast and accurate typing (look at some of my recent twitters to see my typos).

That said, I will not be getting rid of my iPhone if I can help it. It's too good for everything else. Granted, I will end up carrying 3 units on a regular basis (n95, iPhone and 8800), along with a smattering of others for testing as well as the occasional US mobile (bberry 8820). But I don't think I'm normal.

On a side note, after ~10 years I'll be getting rid of my US-646 mobile soon. I'm still using the 8820 (see other post a few months back) but only when it is on wifi for free calls. I've dropped all data and moved calling to the bare minimum along with the wifi calling option. Once my family is in London I'll cancel it completely. For all the gripes, I've had a good run with the US T-Mobile folks, but I live in the -44- country code now.

No comments: